Build Healthy Soil and Reduce Water consumption with compost. Good soil absorbs water easily, drains well and retains moisture. Experts estimate that 50% or more of the water used in May through September in the Coachella Valley goes to waste due to evaporation, runoff, or simply overwatering. Many of CBM's products are designed to hold moisture and reduce the need for watering.
Containers - Containerized plants perform well with CBM Potting Soil. It combines the porosity containerized plants need, along with moisture-holding capacity to reduce frequent waterings. CBM Potting Soil also contains organic fertilizer for containerized vegetables and herbs.
Established Beds - Use CBM Compost as a mulch to protect the soil from erosion and evaporation, insulate plant roots from temperature fluctuation and reduce weed growth.
Planting - Mix CBM Compost into the soil when planting to retain moisture.
Some other water saving tips:
- Use compost to reduce evaporation on soil surface.
- Minimize evaporation by watering early in the day or late at night, and when the wind is calm.
- Use sprinklers that apply water slowly enough so soil can absorb it without running off.
- Watering too much produces weak plants that are susceptible to pests and disease.
- Lessen potential fertilizer and pesticide runoff from landscapes into streams and lakes, where it can affect birds, fish and their food sources.
Conserving water benefits people, plants, fish and other wildlife.